RE: SGI OpenGL SI libs updated

At 15:19 2000-06-15 -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

> > I just want to compile, link and run an app that calls glut and GL
> > functions on Windows 2000 and/or NT. I thought that cygwin was a good
> > environnement for that.
> >

>You should have no problem with it.  Link your application to linglut.a and
>libGL.a, if needed to libGLU.a.  The application should work.
>

> > For the moment, I don't care about hardware acceleration, or
> > whether the GL
> > functions are provided by an X server or by Windows.
> >
> > Buying a commercial X server for 2000/NT that supports GLX, such as HCL
> > Exceed 3D, seems the only option by now; or is there a way to link with
> > Windows function?
>
>I do not think so, I hvae a couple of applications, which use GLX extensions
>and they work just fine on any X-server.  The privious versions of IBM
>OpenDX
>were linked to libGL.a.
>
>If you code is looking for a GLX extension is X-server, then you need to fix
>that
>in your code.
>
>I cannot promise xwin would display all the OpenGL applications, but I can
>open all the
>examples from SGI OpenGL SI on xwin server and also I can run IBM OpenDX
>on xwin.  OpenDX is MOTIF/OpenGL Data Visualization Application, which does
>hardware and
>software OpenGL rendering.  I had been contributing to www.opendx.org Cygwin
>ported
>OpenDX since long time and users had no problems runing it on any X-servers.
>
>Suhaib

The problem is that the glutInit function in the last version of
sgi-opengl.tar.bz2 you provided checks for the GLX extension in the X
server and stops if it is not there:

GLUT: Fatal Error in (unamed): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by
display: 127.0.0.1:0

I can't see how to get around it.

André Bleau, ing., analyste
bleau@courriel.polymtl.ca

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School