From: cygwin-xfree-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com]On Behalf Of Richard.GRENON
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 4:18 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Installing cygwin/xfree

Hello Suhaib,

I have sent an S.O.S on April 29 about installing X11R6.4 with Cygwinb20 on my PC working under Windows98, then I did not work on my PC until June 15 because I was on travel and I have just found your answer on the mailing list. Thank you very much for your help. I think that I could make a great step towards the end of the tunnel but I still have some problems with XGGI and X11:

I have downloaded the libggi suite as you suggested in your Reply on April 30 and I have installed it as you said in the mailing list on January 17 "First Alpha X-server for Win32 is out". I put /usr/local/lib in my PATH and tryed to exec XGGI -targets directx. XGGI failed with the error message "missing export CYGWIN1.DLL:_ctype_". I read the FAQ and got the last version of CYGWIN1.DLL in the snapshots (cygwin1-20000622.dll.bz2)
and tryed again to exec XGGI. Here is a copy of what I have done :

export GGI_DEBUG=0
export GGI_DEFMODE=800x600[GT_32BIT]
export GGI_CONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/ggi
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/lib
XGGI -targets directx&

Then I got for a short time the GGI-ON-DX window but it crashed because it did not find the fonts. As I have installed X11 in /usr/X11R6.4 I made a link X11R6 -> X11R6.4 in /usr. I could not find the fonts in X11R6.4 ( what ???) but I found them in X11R6.3 !!! Then I made a link in /usr/X11R6.4/lib/X11 :

fonts -> /usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11/fonts.

Rather complex, I agree, but it works : finally, I got the GGI-ON-DX windows, with still an error :

PEXExtensionInit : Could not open default font file Roman_Merror opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

I could not find anywhere the missing file SecurityPolicy, but no matter, the GGI-On-DX window did not crash !!!! Then I tried to exec xclock, but I got the error : can't open display. In fact the DISPLAY variable is empty. Can you tell me how and where DISPLAY should be defined and where I can find the missing xserver directory with the SecurityPolicy file ?

Thank you in advance for your help on the mailing list.

Best regards

Richard Grenon
40 Avenue de la Division Leclerc
92320 Châtillon - France