Installing cygwin/xfree : it works ! ( almost )

Hello Suhaib and others,

Installing and using Cygwin was very easy and it works very well, but installing Xfree with XGGI is really a nightmare for a simple user who knows nothing about system administration. I will never say bad things about system administrators!

Here are the last (bad) news of my installation :

1. xterm warnings "locale not supported" and "failed to open input method" : I tried to get the last xterm client from Xc-4-binaries as you told me, but it gives the same thing. I read in the archives that you said it was not important, so maybe I can forget it.

2. French keyboard mapping : I got a french Xmodmap.fr file on the Web and tried xmodmap or to run XGGI with the -xkbdb option. No way! Xterms are always typing US keyboards! Help! What is missing to make xmodmap work?

3. Twm does not catch button events : I tried the last twm.exe from the Xc-4-binaries and also mwm, but it's the same problem although "xmodmap -pp" says that there are 5 buttons! Could it be because some env variables are missing (look at my very simple XGGI script in my June 26 mail) or because the window manager cannot find the *wmrc files ? System *wmrc files exist for twm and mwm, but maybe at the wrong place? I tried also to run XGGI with the "-buttons n" option but it fails for any value of n between 1 and 3! Help again!

4. Finally I tried to exec a Unix code : XopenDisplay works with DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 but DISPLAY=:0.0 is not authorized, because I am not root ? Then the code fails on DefaultColormap(display,screen) call with the screen value returned by DefaultScreen(display). This screen value seems to be out of range (very great value). What is wrong?
  I had also a problem with the choice of the include files : gcc seems to look for the X11 include files in /usr/include/X11. Some X11 files are in /usr/include/X11 (from cygwin installation) but they are not identical to the same named files in /usr/X11R6/include/X11, so which ones should I use?

As you can see, I am completely lost among the include, resource or config files and the init scripts. That's really not my domain and I don't have the basic knowledge of system administration. I think I have all the latest binaries needed for simple tests but I will never succeed if I can't find a full installation script with XGGI or another Xserver. I guess that you could be tired to receive always the same questions, and I don't want to take too much of your time. Maybe I will do again some other tests if you have some suggestions, but I think I will stop soon. Do you intend to deliver in the future full install scripts for Xfree with some Xservers, as you did with the setup.exe for Cygwin ? If so, I think that it would be better for me to wait.

Thank you again for having given me a little of your time.

Best regards,

Richard Grenon
40 Avenue de la Division Leclerc
92320 Châtillon - France