RE: Motif and Xt Widgets using Cygwin20/NT

Exceed XDK will not work with the latest Cygwin 1.1.2.  Exceed XDk also
requires a lot of code hacking.  I found it a pain to port an X11/MOTIF code
to Windows.

Can you please be very brief?  I get confused with long e-mails ;-)

One thing to NOTE. Cygwin B20.1 is one thing and CYgwin 1.1.2 is another.
Cygwin 1.1.2 is the Cygwin version you install from
sources.redhat.com/cygwin
in the "latest" directory.

The X11 development kit on
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries
is for Cygwin 1.1.2 and it will not work with Cygwin B20.1.  Cygwin 1.1.2 is
the
next generation version of Cygwin B20.1 with improved capabilities.

You should never ever mix any binaries from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries
with Cygwin B20.1.

The Lesstif binaries at http://www.lesstif.org are for Cygwin 1.1.2
There is not libXm.a in archives under
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries
because it contains no binaries.  LessTIf is not part of stock X11 or Xfree
therefore it not a good idea to mix it in X11 distribution because it will
create more confusions.

As far as capabilities of Cygwin and developing MOTIF/X11 applications with
it, I can say for sure it
is a marvelous tools. I ported some very compilcated drug design 3D software
from SGI to Windows using Cygwin and my X11 developement tools from
Cygwin/XFree.
If you have the right libraries and insatlled properly, you should be able
to port your code with very little effort to Windows.

I would suggest.

1) Install Cygwin 1.1.2 using setup.exe from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/latest

2) Install X11R6 in /usr/X11R6 from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries

3) Install Lesstif from http://www.lesstif.org for Cygwin 1.1.x
into /usr/X11R6

Now you should be all set to go to port your code, unless you need
image librareis like tif, jpeg and png etc, which you could
grab from http://cygutils.netpedia.net and install them in /usr/lib and
/usr/include

Any more questions, please ask specific questions.  Your link problems are
because you installed Cygwin B20.1 and are using some of the libraries
for newer Cygwin which is Cygwin 1.1.2.

> 	There are also some totally undefined functions (Xshm, Xmalloc,
> Xcalloc, XWidthofScreen, ...) that are present within VMS and Solaris, but
> don't appear anywhere in the Xfree bundle.

Xshm is not supported by XFree itself, but you need IPC from
http://cygutils.netpedia.net to support SHM in your code.

There is a an order of link you must follow,
-lXm -lXt -lICE -lSM -lXext -lX11

otherwise you might get unresolved symbols.

No symbol had been taken out of XFree and non-added.  If any symbol
you think was present at Solaris, but not on Xfree, that
you need to research.  It is a 100% port of X11 libraries from Xfree86
which you use on Linux and other UNIX boxes.  Maybe your applications
needs to #include some headers from X11? did you do a grep -i '...' *.h
to see which headers have funtions you need and if they are included
by your code?

Suhaib