Installing server on Win98se

I downloaded both X-Servers-V1.0 & X-Servers-V1.0-exe from the contrib/
directory.  I see there is some duplication.  I kept the newer of each
duplicate.

Now what?  I don't see anything that looked like installation notes.
Where were they?

I see there is a second cygwin1.dll.  I see a whole lot of traffic on
the cygwin list saying having more than one can lead to serious
unpleasantness.  Can I just get rid of this one?

The PATH is all messed up and "start" complains that it can't find
what it's looking for.

Clearly, I need some step by step direction.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"Don't buy or use crappy software"