Also almost there..

L.S.

I have a problem that looks a bit like the one reported recently by John Turner; however, the solution outlined for him does not work for me.
This is what I did:
- installed Cygwin 1.1.4 on my machine (PIII, TNT2 video card). This was the first time I used Cygwin, so no chance for B20.1 or other versions.
- downloaded all xfree86-4.0-* tar.bz2 files
- untarred into toplevel cygwin dir, so installation is under /usr/X11R6
- added /usr/X11R6/bin and /usr/X11R6/lib in front of the path in /etc/profile; the path is OK according to bash.
- entered "startxwin.bat" at the bash prompt.(XWin -screen 8 1024x768x16 has the same effect)

A few DOS boxes with xwin, xterm etc. flash over the screen, then the screen becomes black, with just a small hour-glass shaped cursor, which can be moved around. For the rest, the machine is completely frozen, only the reset button gets it alive again.
Two times there was a "lost cluster" on the disk after reboot that contained a listing of messages just as John reported, apart that the text stops after "error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy".
I did a few experiments to see what could be happening:
- I did rebuild all font .dir files as recommended to John, but this does not help.
- it looks like the Xserver is running, trying to point an xterm from a linux box did not give any errors on the linux side, only nothing was visible at the windws side!
- the xterm on the cygwin/windows machine does work with the MIX Xserver, only it reports that sh is not available, but I do not think this could be the problem.

Any suggestions how to get this to work, or at least to get some more info (logfiles etc) about what is going wrong? Any configuration files that should be changed?

Thanks already for any help,

Regards,

Hans Göebel