RE: new faq and index

Bob,
Robert is correct.  X3386 was the first X-server written while
XF86 gang was MIT. That time Linux did not existed.
Below is the cut and paste of a statment from XFree86 Inc.

"The XFree86 Project, Inc is a non-profit organisation which produces
XFree86, a freely redistributable open-source implementation of the X Window
System that runs on UNIX(R) and UNIX-like (like Linux, the BSDs and Solaris
x86 series) operating systems and OS/2.

XFree86 is the underlying software that is between the hardware and
graphical user interface (aka gui) that people see and use. If you are using
KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment, twm or fvwm then you are already using and
running XFree86 as these run as our clients.

Traditionally, The XFree86 Project has focused on Intel x86-based platforms,
which is where the `86' in our name comes from, but our current release
supports other platforms like the Alpha, PowerPC, Sparc and in-the-works
MIPS CPU families.

Our goal at XFree86 is to have X run on every platform available, including
those we do not currently support, as the best windowing system available on
that platform."

XFree86 Inc. goal now is to cover as many as possible Operating systems, not
only x86-based OS or Linux.
Linux itself no more only x86-based OS.

The Cygwin/XFree port was done more or less along the line of OS/2 port.
For OS/2 port Holger's patches were
merged into XFree86 source base, but the supporting drivers source code and
binaries are available
only from Holger's Web Pages.  Cygwin/XFree (Windows) is simillar, you need
supporting drivers
whose binaries and source codes will be available from
http://source.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree.

Suhaib