Possible cause of Windows 98 failures?

Suhaib,

Okay, I downloaded the source for xf_dx.dll.  Thank you for pointing me to
it.

I'm looking at what should be the code for Xwin.exe in the xfree86 cvs tree
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin/.  Is that the correct directory?  Are the CVS
files up to date?  The time stamps on the files in that directory are all
8/10/2000.

If been poking around and I'm realizing that map_dx_fb() from ntux_xf.c is
deprecated.  winAllocateFramebufferMemory() in InitOutput.c has commented
out calls to map_dx_fb() that were replaced with a call to
winDXAllocateFramebufferMemory() of xf_xf.dll (at least indirectly of that
dll).

ntux_xf.c contains support functions that should not be used in xwin.exe, as
all calls to map_dx_fb() are all commented out; well, excepting the call to
map_dx_fb() in main() of ntux_xf.c, which I am guessing is not used, as
renaming the xmap.sys file that main() attempts to load does not affect the
behavior of the x server.  The support functions in ntux_xf.c all revolve
around using IOControls and a shared memory frame buffer, not DirectX.  The
support functions use functions from the Win32 API that only work on WinNT,
as they are not supported on Windows 9X:
CreateService()
ControlService()
DeleteService()
StartService(), etc.

I'm wondering if the main() function of ntux_xf.c gets called at some point
and inadvertantly tries to call the service functions on Windows 98
machines, thus causing a crash.  I did a dumpbin -imports on xwin.exe and
all of the service funtions, as well as iocontrol functions, are linked to
the executable, thus enabling the possibility of a failed call attempt.

I haven't setup a build environment for xwin.exe, so I can't test my theory
yet.  However, I would like to know if my thinking that the service and
iocontrol functions are no longer needed.

Thank you,