RE: Error messages and problems with font size

> I have 2 installations of cygwin-xfree on separate PII
> machines.  Both use
> the latest network version of cygwin (1.1.4).
>

> This first is just a quibble but I think there may be a
> problem with the
> supplied startxwin.bat file,  shouldn't the path in this file
> be DOS style
> paths set to agree with the X11 directory  that cygwin-xfree
> unpacks into ?
> I have set my paths as follows :
>
> SET PATH=%PATH%;c:\unix\bin;c:\unix\usr\X11R6\bin

Yes

BUT

PATH=%PATH%;\cygwin\bin;\cygwin\X11R6\bin

Is DOS style, example, as no drive letter prefix, it means,
search on the same disk, starting from root.    It gives
a little bit freedom that users would not have to edit drive letter
in case they install on a disk other than C:\

> Anyway,  on to my problems :
>

> Machine 1 has a problem in that I get the following error
> boxes when I start
> the server by running the startwin.bat file from explorer :
>
> Back Creation failed
> Error = 887601b3 (unknown error)
>
> Direct Draw Init failed
> Error = 887601b3 (unknown error)
>
> This machine uses an STB Systems Powergraph 64 3D (ViRGE) VGA card.

A Search on mail archive will give you the answer... Harold Hunt posted
a millions times answer to this problem.  I would rather let you search mail
archive
for this then to repeat Harold fixes.

> On machine 2 I can get the server to start,  and I have been
> able to compile
> lesstif and get mwm running,  so far so good :-)
>
> My problem with this machine is that the fonts in the rxvt
> and xterm shells
> are extremely small.  When I try to change them by changing
> the line in
> startxwin.bat to eg :
>
> start rxvt -fn "Lucidia Console-14"
>
> it doesn't make any difference :-/
>
> Does anyone know how to change the font size in these two programs ?

The following would do:
xterm  -sb -sl 2048 -font 7x13bold

Or if you want to use Bash from xterm, use the following command:

C:\Cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c "nohup /bin/bash -c ""/bin/bash -c 'xterm  -sb -sl
2048 -font 7x13bold -sb -e /bin/tcsh.termcap'&""&"

This one is from mail archive too, a couple of time, I and other
users posted this.

Best way to check available fonts is to cd to

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

then do a

ls

and choose the font you would like to use.

Suhaib