RE: Input and Display Status Update (3)

> I'm thinking about working on the following things before I
> package up a
> test release:
> 1)  Possible display method that avoids overlays, thus allowing higher
> resolution display on machines with limited video memory.

Sounds like a good one to have, but maybe not necessary for the
majority immediately. Is there any reason to put this all out at once
instead of as you have it? The latter would allow the community to be
bug finding as you go.

> 2)  Using DirectInput for mouse and keyboard input whenever
> possible, only
> falling back on standard input methods when DirectInput
> intialization fails.

From what I understood of your previous messages, there were a lot of
disadvantages to DirectInput with no advantages offsetting them. Could
you tell this ignorant individual why this is desirable or point me to
a link where I can educate myself?

> 3)  Allowing the X server window to be moved around the screen

Also a good to have, but not a need to have.

> 4)  Using overlays on Windows 98, primary surface on NT/2000
> (might do this
> later, as a test release for Win9X only would be fine)

Does the primary surface method on NT/2000 relate back to point 1 or is
this a capability that NT/2000 has that Win9x does not? Again I would
encourage a phased release plan.

My first selfish reaction is to ask for the chance to test what you
have now and see if it solves my DirectX problem. If it does not, I am
thinking of downloading the source and seeing what is causing my
problem. I have tried to avoid this because I am a novice in DirectX
matters. Would it possible to get the DLL you have now to see if I need
to start this odyssey?

Joel