RE: Xfree on Win98?

> First of all: Thanx for the prompt answer!
>
> > At present Windows 98/95 are not supported.  You should
> cosnider reading
> > and mail archives please!
>
> This stands in contrast with what I have read in the FAQ.
> There is written
> that it is possible to run it on Win98 when installing the archive
> 'XWin-Win9x-Me.tar.bz2' (Why does this exist?)!

I am not aware of this comment in FAQ.  I did a word search on FAQ and
could not find it.  Can you cut and paste that part from FAQ, may be I am
missing something?
Maybe, you are quoting from one of the mail from archives.  It was posted
by me only for test purposes and is known not to work on Win9x.

> > You may consider using X-server-1.0 archive from "contrib"
> directory.  It
> is
> > not based
> > upon XFree86, and uses no Cygwin, but should work on
> Windows 95/98 in
> > Single-Windowed mode.
> >
> > It should be installed in \usr not c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6
> directory... just
> > warn you before
> > you start posting without reading FAQ and doing a search on
> mail archives.
>
> I had installed that version before and it runs (very
> sloooooow) but it is
> obviously not able to handle more complex clients like LyX
> but only very
> simple clients like xterm! That's not what I am looking for!

Yes, it can be bit slow, but it not correct it can handle only simple
clients like
xterm and oclock etc.  Have a look at screen shot at
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/screen.jpg

It has IBM OpenDX, which is certainly one of the most complicated 3D
Visualizer.
In the background, the black window belongs to one of the 3D Protein
Chemistry
application.

> So do I have to switch to M$ Window$ 2000 instead? Or can I
> to wait (how
> long?) for a version for Win98 from Xfree?

We can not give a time frame, sorry!  Harold is working on and a couple of
others
too.  It is an open source project and work is done by contributors in spare
time
therefore we cannot give you any time frame...

Suhaib