Compile Lockups on Win98

Has anyone else seen this.  I been trying to compile the xfree code.  At
different times and at different places, everything starts slowing
down.  I've seen it get to about 30 sec to do an 'rm'.

After a while everything stops.  Sometimes I have to do a hard restart
of my computer.

I currently have the 1.1.5 cygwin, the newest make, the newest bash, and
the newest gcc binaries available.

John