RE: A few newbie problems

Chuck,

>The startxwin.bat file has "\usr\bin\X11" as the path to the XFree bin
>directory. After I did an install, the right path seems to be
>"\usr\X11R6\bin". Is this symptomatic of a problem?

No problem, that's just the way the default batch file comes.  If your
cygwin root is c:\cygwin\, then you probably want to fix the path line in
the batch file to append c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin to your path.  If you
figure it out for sure, let me know, as I never really played around with
the setting to see what works...  A simple test case would be to launch
xterm& from within Cygwin/XFree86, your path is probably not correct if your
current shell complains that it can't find xterm.

>When I bring up the X Windows Mgr, it occupies the entire screen. On the
>CygwinXFree website, the screenshots show the window manager running as
>a window on the Windows desktop.

That screenshot has mysterious origins :)  The current stable release runs
in full-screen mode only.  I have been working on a test release series that
runs in windowed mode, you can read the mailing list archive for my test
release posts; you may want to try out test 7 if you are interested.

>Is there any reason that I can't start things with a bash script, for
>example?

Go for it... some of the earlier batch files did use a bash script, but the
resulting script file was looked much more confusing to the average user
than the current DOS batch file.

>pre-compiled binaries for LessTiff

I'm not really qualified to answer this question, as I didn't write the FAQ,
and I never tried installing LessTiff... good luck :)

Thanks for your interest in the project,