Newbie: XWin Crashes PC

Hi,

I recently installed Cygwin for using the XFree functionality.  The install of Cygwin 1.1.4 went on well and then I
bunzipped/untarred the Xfree packages (all except the programmers library package) under Cygdrive/ as per the web site instructions.

My problem is that when I start startxwin.bat (both dblclicking from explorer and running from bash shell), my PC hangs!  The screen
becomes white and the familiar X mouse pointer appears but then my PC does not respond - not even to Ctrl-Alt-Del.  After restart, I
tried executing xwin directly from the bash prompt as:
---------------------
Bash Prompt> DISPLAY=localhost:0
Bash Prompt> ./xwin -screen 0 800x600x16 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0 -query xserverhost (I have a UNIX machine running X)
---------------------
(I also tried screen 0 1024x768x16 and all numbers from screen 0 to 8...)...I know for a fact that it connects to the UNIX machine
as it displays the small gray checked background of the UNIX X server BUT...no login box and again the PC hangs.

Could someone please tell me what's going on!

I am running Cygwin 1.1.4 on a Win 98 PC.  The graphics card is a TNT or NVIDIA ... sorry I don't have more info on that.

BTW, I have one more question.  I have XWin32 from Starnet on the same PC (it was not running when I tried Cygwin-Xfree!).  When I
run XWin32 and try to run rxvt or xterm from the Cygwin distribution, nothing happens, literally nothing happens.  Both return
silently to the bash prompt without throwing any errors.  I set the display variable to localhost before running xterm/rxvt.  Is it
some kind of a protocol mismatch?  XWin32 claims to be compliant with X Consortium protocols and I guess that Cygwin-Xfree is also
compliant.  Then why is rxvt/xterm from Cygwin not able to launch when the local X server is Xwin32?

Please help.

Thanks
--Kartic