RE: XFree on Win9x, again

Richard,

Cygwin/XFree86 has a problem running on Windows 98 due to the manner in
which the pointer to the video memory is obtained; obtaining a pointer to
the video memory on Windows 98 causes a Mutex known as the Win16Mutex to be
held; a lot of the Windows 98 code, whether it is 16 bit or 32 bit, waits to
obtain the Win16Mutex before it executes, for compatability reasons.

I can say with certainty that your instability problems are not due to
problems with Windows 98 waiting for the Win16Mutex (like Cygwin/XFree86
does), as your X/Server would crash immediately (as Cygwin/XFree86 does on
Windows 98).

Currently we have a test implementation that works, albeit with horrible
performance, on Windows 98, and I'm very close to finishing a new version
that may work on Windows 98 with better performance.  Keep checking our
website or the mailing list for the announcement of this new version.

Thank you for your interest in the project,