RE: Built XFree86 4.0.1 on CYGWIN 1.1.5 - no world-shaking errors, but...

> XFree 4.0.1 compiled *quite* OOTB on my old'n trusty Win 95b
> machine. :)
>
> That's the positive part.
> The negative one is that there is no Xinit or StartX or
> Xwin.exe AT ALL.

That means it did not compile AT ALL.

> Again: it did NOT quit with a Fatal Error or something else,
> it just worked.
> Now I've got zillions of additional bytes in /usr/X11R6/* but
> I cannot start
> the X Server because I don't have an executable for it.
> That's strange,
> isn't it? ;)

Beacuse something is wrong with your build and it did not compile

> A "mini"-error occured, however but I don't care a fsck for
> that if the
> other things compile well!

I think most of the stuff under your setup did not compile.  Which source
tree
are you using?

> While building the fonts, stderr complained about a missing 'bdftopcf'
> binary tool and it was right : there wasn't any binary that could be
> found in this */exports/* path.
> A path correction somewhere in the Makefiles should fix it
> but I won't: I
> don't want to risk a fatal error if I make a mistake and
> tackle the wrong
> thing.

If means it did not compile bftopcf.exe and copy it to /xc/exports/bin.
If you there there is an error in Imakefile, feel free to send a patch.

> Furthermore, there were loads of options in my
> couple-of-MB-size log file
> that complained about macros that were unknown to the system.
> - macro 'XYZ' not recognised - ignoring
> Can _I_ really "ignore" this?

Those are the warning....  they are in millions in Xfree86 code
you can turn it off, by by removing -Wall option from *.cf files in
/xc/config/cf.

> I'm concluding now with a complaint about a missing lib: (>
> during 'make
> install')
> -lSM
>
> SM? What the hell is this? :)

Are you sure libX11.* compiled?  If not, then nothing will compile.
I bet something is wrong with you build environment.

> Otherwise, GREAT WORK, Suhaib and all the others.
> I've never thought in my life I'd ever see an X Server
> running on a Windows
> 9x
> background. :)

You might soon.  Thanks