From: Andreas Eibach
To: Suhaib Siddiqi
Sent: 11/14/2000 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: Built XFree86 4.0.1 on CYGWIN 1.1.5 - no world-shaking errors,
but...

> > The negative one is that there is no Xinit or StartX or
> > Xwin.exe AT ALL.
>
> That means it did not compile AT ALL.
Ohhh...
Well I'm an optimistic person. Always. :)

> > A "mini"-error occured, however but I don't care a fsck for
> > that if the
> > other things compile well!
>
> I think most of the stuff under your setup did not compile.  Which
source
> tree
> are you using?

The XFree86 4.0.1 tree.
Available @ ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4/

> > While building the fonts, stderr complained about a missing
'bdftopcf'
> > binary tool and it was right : there wasn't any binary that could be
> > found in this */exports/* path.
> > A path correction somewhere in the Makefiles should fix it
> > but I won't: I
> > don't want to risk a fatal error if I make a mistake and
> > tackle the wrong
> > thing.

> If means it did not compile bftopcf.exe and copy it to
/xc/exports/bin.
> If you there there is an error in Imakefile, feel free to send a
patch.

I won't state this unless I _thoroughly_ tested it. I'm going to dig
deeper
into it @weekend.

> > - macro 'XYZ' not recognised - ignoring

> Those are the warning....  they are in millions in Xfree86 code
> you can turn it off, by by removing -Wall option from *.cf files in
> /xc/config/cf.
Thanks for the info.

> > I'm concluding now with a complaint about a missing lib: (>
> > during 'make
> > install')
> > -lSM
> >
> > SM? What the hell is this? :)
>

> Are you sure libX11.* compiled?  If not, then nothing will compile.
> I bet something is wrong with you build environment.

You seem to bet correctly.
However, this is my stupidity: I should've read *before* that X src will
NOT
compile under Win9x; WinNT/2000 ONLY.
This is what I took from the ml archives: _afterwards_, that is. ;)

But I've just finished downloading the experimental win32-xfree tree.
(_binary_ this time)
Let's see what happens.

So long, keep up the good work,

Andreas