RE: Running remote window manager

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 00:10:23 -0500, Harold Hunt wrote:

>>I can't run xterm without a window manager, though (can I?)
>
>Sure can.  Just comment (REM) out vtwm from your startxwin.bat.  Xterm will
>dock in the upper-left hand corner of your X Server without a window border.

I had no idea.  I'm a very inexperienced X user.  I assumed no window
manager meant no windows.  Instead, it just means you can't move the
windows!  Weird.

>Let me know if you succeed, I would like to do the same thing :)

Here's what I did:

1) REM out the line "start vtwm" from STARTXWIN.BAT
2) Run STARTXWIN.BAT
3) Exit the rxvt window so that you can get to the xterm
	What does rxvt do, anyway?
4) In the xterm window, type:  "xhost +<remote X machine>"
	I will eventually add this to STARTXWIN, but this was faster.
5) On the remote X machine, type:
	"export DISPLAY=<NT IP address>:0.0"
	"gnome-session"

That's it!  You will get a bunch of Gdk errors, but everything seems to
be OK.  Except for one thing:  the colors are hideous!  The background
is blue on my Linux machine (Redhat 7 with GNOME), but it's RED on NT.
The icons are incorrectly colored, too.  I can live with that,
though...

Anyway, pretty neat!  It's a lot like sitting at the Linux console.  I
could probably do the same thing with VNC, but it wouldn't be as
cool...  :)

Tim Massey