Re: Test 7 and xdpyinfo

> Test 7, if I remember correctly, ignores any screen bit depth parameter;

Obviously, it _does_ care for them.

start XWin -screen 16 1024x768x16 [...]

results in an DD error here, whilst

start XWin -screen 8 1024x768x8 [...]

works.

> >How to force Xwin in test7 to be 8 colors depth ?
>
> Set Windows to run at 8 bits... then Test 7 will run at 8 bits; Test 7
> doesn't change the video mode, it uses the current video mode.

This *would* be great indeed ;)
But Test 7 would only work in 8 bit mode, AFAICS.

My current setting is 'High Color'.
But I get the same weird colors as if I set colors to 16. No change.

> >Did you solve the xmodmap problem in Test 7.
> I haven't touched the keyboard code since I first wrote it... [...]
> I would like to learn more about international keyboard support; in order
> do that I need someone that is bilingual and that has some non-English
> keyboards.  I nominate you to help me... no that I've got a helper, I have
> few questions :)

May I help you, too?

> 2) Where are the accent keys located on the keyboard?

German keyboard:
ACCENT AIGU ( ´ ) - left from Backspace (unshifted)
ACCENT GRAVE left from Backspace (shifted)

> 5) What are the names of the keys that do not work?

> See, I can't really help until I know what key name I'm
> looking to fix :)
The interesting thing is that *everything* _works_ for me here, but is at an
absolutely unusual place!
(My pipe symbol is now left from the "1" ;))
Typing is like a "search-game" on Test 7 at the moment <grin>.
BTW: On the German keyboard, the pipe symbol can be accessed via
Ctrl-Alt-<key right to L_Shift>

TODO is for me to *disable* my German keyboard and test if the keyboard
setup works at least with an English/US keyboard. As soon as I have time
tomorrow, I'll give it a try.

> 6) Have you looked at the source for Test 7?  Particulary,
> winkeymap.h?  It is quite easy to follow and has
> tips embedded in the comments...

I'm interested in the source, too, but I hope it's somewhere else but in the
CVS repository.
CVS is so awkward (pun intended).
Seriously, did you put it somewhere on the web or on the ftp?

> I'm interested in learning the issues related to supporting non-English
> keyboards,

Well I can support you with any info about a *German* keyboard, of course.
Feel free to ask.
:)

Andreas