Re: Xwin and .bashrc

What you describe seems to conform to the bash documentation.
A login shell does not read .bashrc. You would need to
explicitly source it from .bash_profile

Pierre

************************
When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or  as
a  non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first
reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
that  file  exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and  ~/.profile,  in  that
order,  and reads and executes commands from the first one
that exists and is readable.  The --noprofile  option  may
be  used  when the shell is started to inhibit this behav-
ior.

When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands
from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

When  an  interactive  shell  that is not a login shell is
started, bash reads and executes commands from  ~/.bashrc,
if  that  file exists.  This may be inhibited by using the
--norc option.  The --rcfile file option will  force  bash
to   read  and  execute  commands  from  file  instead  of
~/.bashrc.