Re: AW: documentation archive

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vladimir G Ivanovic" <vladimir@acm.org>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Cc: <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>; <merlin_electronic@t-online.de>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: AW: documentation archive

> I use Netscape almost exclusively to download files, without problems.
> Sometimes Netscape will automagically decompress the file, but not
> rename it. So all applications that key off of the file name extension
> will be confused. It's a simple matter to rename the file to end in
> ".tar".

Ah, you MUST be NT users. :)
IIRC, this is a NT-only problem. I never had this behaviour with a Win9x
machine, honestly, *never*.
However, my machine at work is a NT 4 SP 5 (?) one, so I always get   ...
_tar.tar  files instead of tar.gz. This is *very annoying*.. :-/
I do NOT have W2k yet, so I dunno if this is fixed in W2k. I hope it is, but
I bet it's not.

Andreas