Re: Please oh masters guide me.. (GGI or DirectX.. )

Well,
    The current 'official' distribution uses an external driver .dll that is separately compiled with MSVC.. it uses DirectX. If you
just want a functioning X-Server then that's your route - don't even thing of building (you'll need 1/2 Gb+ to build XFree86). This
is the one that you get from www.xfree86.org. (But you can't get the extra .dll there).

John Fortin is working on the GGI server - John how should I describe it's state? There was a 'released' version of it available for
download, but I don't know what gotchas it may have, or how steep the learning curve to start messing with the code is.

Harold's DirectX work derived from the 'official' code, and merged in the separate .dll so it is not needed anymore. It also [will]
solve(d) many of the current user interface glitches the 'official' driver has. However in some respects it was a start from scratch
effort (see the list for details).

If you want to read doco... this mailing list is the place. Also the full XFree86 documentation applies. If you want to write
derivative doco, or win32 specific doco Harold has released under GDL a howto and the beginnings of a user manual for XFree86 on
windows - I'm sure he'd appreciate assistance.

For betatesting you could test either the GGI or DirectX flavours... I suspect that the DirectX version will have the closest
windows integration down the track. Mind you I'm supposing that from a position of 100% ignorance of GGI - so I'm ready to be
corrected :-]

Rob