RE: icewm not starting on Win2K

Rüdiger:

I built and run icewm-cygwin-1.0.9-2.tar.gz under W2K, so it should work.
The specific versions on the machine I used to build it are:
W2K SP 1
W2K XFree86 4.1.0(157)
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 XXXXXXX 1.3.3(0.46/3/2) 2001-09-12 23:54 i686 unknown

Are you trying to start icewm from startxwin.bat? See the following notes
from the page where you downloaded icewm:

    * For some reason I can't launch IceWM from a .bat file. When I try
      I get the following:
      |      0 [main] icewm 2564 handle_exceptions: Exception:
      STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
           1198 [main] icewm 2564 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack
      trace to icewm.exe.stackdump
      | To get around this I launch everything from a shell script. I
      have a shortcut on my desktop with the following target:
      |      C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh |

      Jirko Cassuben added the following:
      I think I found the reason, why IceWM doesn't start from the
      startxwin.bat. (That is: it does for me :-). IceWM needs the USER
      and HOME environment variables and they are not set by default on
      a windows system. I'd consider that a bug in IceWM, because there
      is no real guarantee that the variables are set on unix systems,
      either. At least that means it's easy to workaround the problem in
      XFree/Cygwin. Just set USER and HOME in the batchfile.

Also:

    * Others have reported a problem with icewm.exe hanging on W2K
      systems during start. The problem appears to be with the default
      theme (Infadel2) on those systems. To work around this problem use
      a different theme, such as the win95 theme, when starting icewm,
      either the -t command line switch or a change in a preference file
      (see icewm-15.html for info) seems work.

Also, if you want to launch xterm from the icewm menu, you need to download a patched xterm.exe from
http://home.san.rr.com/dhuyvetter/david/CygwinXFree86.html

Let me know if any of this helps.

David