XFree86 dies on mouse click.

Hi all,

I've tried to do my homework, carefully reading the FAQ and mailing list,
but I can't find a solution to my problem.

I'm trying to get the latest version of Cygwin/xfree to work under Windows
NT4 SP6a.  This is a reinstallation of NT4/reapplication of SP6a from
scratch, followed by upgrading IE to the latest version (and whatever
.DLL or other upgrades that may perform).  I also upgraded the drivers
for my ancient 4MB Matrox Mystique video card to the latest version
posted (dated 1998) on the Matrox web site for NT4.  My motherboard is
an old Intel Seattle with a PIII/400 CPU and 384MB of RAM.

I followed the Installation How-To to a tee.  I installed the standard
Cygwin and all the xfree .tar.bz2 files (dated Dec 3rd I believe) from
xfree/xc-4-binaries (including devel and Prog) except for Xmh, Xnest,
and Xprt to C:\Cygwin.  I copied vtwm.exe to /usr/X11R6/bin so
startxwin.bat could find it.

When I run startxwin.bat from a DOS command prompt window, X starts up
full-screen (Windows desktop goes away of course and I see a few of the
"standard" error messages related to locale).  I get the stippled
background with the "X" cursor in the center *and* the Windows arrow
cursor on top of the "X."  Then vtwm starts.  It puts a small window
labeled vtwm in the upper left-hand corner of the screen (pager?) and an
outline box (I presume for my xterm) with its upper left-hand corner on
the center of the screen asking me to place the new window.

At this point, when I move the mouse the Windows arrow cursor moves but
the xterm outline doesn't move.  X doesn't seem to "see" me moving the
mouse.  Then when I click the mouse X dies instantly.  Full screen X
goes away and I'm back to the Windows desktop.  I've tried pushing Alt-Tab
but it doesn't take me back to the full screen X Windows display.  It
appears to be gone for good.

I'm running Windows in 800x600x16 bit color mode, and the command in
startxwin.bat to start XWin.exe uses this mode as well.  In fact, I
didn't change startxwin.bat at all because it looks OK to me.

The thing that puzzles me is I'm not getting any error messages.  The
window where XWin.exe runs shows this:

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
pwin->width = 00000320
pwin->height = 00000258
pwin->paddedWidth = 00000640
pwin->bitsPerPixel = 00000010
calling winAllocateFramebufferMemory
calling cfb16ScreenInit( 0a0178f0, 14770000, 00000320, 00000258, 00000064, 00000064, 00000320 )
Successful addition of Screen 0xa017ae8 0xa0178f0
Switch: 0xa0178f0, 0xa01fae0

and when X dies and I close that window I get in the window where I ran
startxwin.bat:

about were:

1.) Ownership/permission of files.  Does the ownership of /tmp/.X11-unix
and the X0 socket make any difference?  I tried to use chown to change
their ownership but it didn't work (I'm a cygwin newbie :^).

2.) Environment variables.  Somewhere I believe I read that some env.
vars. like TMP, TMPDIR, HOME, and so forth might be needed.  Do I need
to define these or others to get it working?

Or could this problem be related to my video card?  It is old and has old
drivers.  Maybe they don't support something xfree needs.  If anyone has
any ideas or has seen similar symptoms, I'd appreciate your help
identifying and fixing my problem.  Thanks :^)

					Clemmitt Sigler