RE: xfree86 runs but programs can't connect to it

> I had the same problem under W2K on my ThinkPad.
> I think it is not due to XFree86, but I doubt something regarding on
> FD_CLOEXEC in the cygwin DLL.
>
> After I commented out the following line in _X11TransConnectDisplay of
> ConnDis.c,
>
>    /*  _X11TransSetOption(trans_conn,TRANS_CLOSEONEXEC,1); */
>
> everything works fine. However, I have no idea on the side effect of
> removing the above line in libX11.a, because I am not
> familiar with the
> above system call.

Nice, you compiled the libX11.dll with a  broken Display and broken Xtrans
socket.  This is not a fix. The problem
lies not with Cygwin.dll, but with you ThnkPad.  On many think pads if you
have
ethernet card and modem installed.  I had on a Compaq built in modem and
after installing one
of the 3COM pcmia card with modem+ethernet TCP was messed....

Suhaib