RE: xfree86 runs but programs can't connect to it

you may have answered it but I do not remember.. dos the X-sever
(gray desktop with wavy lines) stays alive?

how about in startxwin.bat changing the xterm command line to

xterm :0

and comment out with REM all the other options except  XWIN.

then cd to \cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin from a cmd and type startxwin.

Suhaib