Re: Cannot start X server

Hi

I started out like you did (but then a few weeks ago) and I also didn't get
the free X-server to work.
I found that the startx.bat file is incomplete. It sets a display variable
and does nothing more than that.
The startdx.bat file does a bit more.

When using this batch file this resulted in errors concerning the
whereabouts of the rgb.txt file and the fonts.
All of which were in the right place and even if I specified them on the
commandline of the server this did not help.

Other people on this list have experienced the same (dmg@tragsatec.es). Then
on this list someone suggested to use the commercial x-server demo X-Win32
5.1. There is a trail version that works for 30 days (I'm not sure what the
URL is) and after that for periods of 2 hours in a row. Since I'm not
planning to use it any longer that seemed fine for me. Installing it was
very easy and after some experimenting I found that the x11.dll that comes
with the cygwin distribution had to be copied to the windows/system
directory. After I had done that everything was functioning perfectly. From
the cygwin prompt I could then start a program specifying the machine name
and display number something like  ./prog.exe -display zen:0.0
Hope this helps.

Greetz,

Zaphod B.