RE: xfree86 runs but programs can't connect to it

The Windows NT/2000 dual boot (actually quadruple boot, with Win ME, and RH
7.0 Linux)
I do Cygwin/XFree86 development work and testing, at home, has CheckPoint
VPN Client installed
and I never had this problem.  Therefore I suspect VPN client is not an
issue.  I believe
problem is somewhere else on your windows.  How about setting up in Control
panel under System-->ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0?  Rebboting then.

Suhaib