XKeysymDB environment variable properly set; still not getting keyboard responsiveness

Greetings,

This is to follow-up on a previous post "Text fields in X/Motif
applications non-editable".

First, apologies for not scanning the FAQ more carefully.

I set XKeysymDB, XErrorDB in my .bashrc file, in startxwin.bat
and in C:/AUTOEXEC.BAT.  For the last file I even rebooted the
machine before invoking startxwin.bat.  I am still encountering
the same "Unknown keysym name: ..." errors when starting an
X/Motif application, and am not getting any responsiveness
from the keyboard.  Where else should I look for this problem?

Thanks,

Lyman Neuschaefer