Question about colors

Harold,

Although I haven't been able to get the Frame Buffer test 10 to work,
I can get test 6b to start but it has all the wrong colors. In
trying to troubleshoot the problem, I ran across the xdpyinfo utility.

Below is the output for 1) test6b, 2) Xwin-x11 3) eXceed V6.2.
For both 2 & 3, the colors look normal. I wonder if the red, green, and
blue masks means and why are they different for different xservers?
How do they get set?

TIA,

--Kevin

Here is what is shows for test 6b:

  number of visuals:    2
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xf800, 0x7e0, 0x1f
    significant bits in color specification:    6 bits

Here is what it shows for the Xwin-x11 built with VC++:

  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    16 planes
    available colormap entries:    64 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0x3f, 0x7c0, 0xf800
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Here is the output from Hummingbird eXceed v6.2:

  number of visuals:    2
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x21
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits