Compiling the current CVS of XFree86 with Cygwin

I noticed some large changes to the current Cygwin support for XFree86
yesterday so tried to have a go at building it.

I pulled down all the latest Cygwin binaries using the nice setup.exe tool.

Then onto building....

It fails on the top level Makefiles complaining at line 70 of
xc/programs/Makefile, xc/doc/Makefile, etc. and then refuses to go on
obviously.

The error message is
Makefile:70: *** missing separator. Stop.

Now, line 70 says...

!<symlink>../.././programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf86Version.h

I guess this is something from cygwin to handle symbolic links.

I've trolled the FAQ and the list archives to no avail, so has anyone else seen
this, a fix maybe ?

Thanks.

Alan.