Re: Chris: message queues and new windows (was select() details)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>;
<cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Chris: message queues and new windows (was select()
details)

> Rob,
>
> It is on line 1411 of select.cc
> I know what PeekMessage() does.
> I am trying to figure out when/why select() calls
> PeekMessage(), with the idea of possibly using
> this feature in the XServer code.
> In particular, is there a reason to use PeekMessage()
> and not GetQueueStatus()?
>
> Pierre

Sorry Pierre, I was answering a different question to what you asked :].
I don't know the answer to this question. As for using the feature in
the XServer code, that is what I was suggesting: but the Select()
routine rather than poll(). ( we don't want a busy wait).

Select, which uses WaitForMultipleObjects will wake up on message queue
events. If we can get the cygwin select() routine to add the Xserver
window message queue to the objects to wait on, we will have solved the
over half of the problem.

Rob