RE: German Keyboard - Again :-)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, George J. Wakileh wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply.  I use Windows 2000.
>
> I think .xsession should be read otherwise I can't have the x-server
> running.  I start the x-server by typing 'startx' in bash.  bash recognizes
> the German keyboard.  It's only the xterm's after running the x-server that
> don't recognize the German keyboard.  I copied xmodmap.de to .Xmodmap in
> /home/wakileh.
>
> In /usr/X11R6/bin/startx, I have
> $HOME/.xsession

Is the excute bit set? try
/bin/bash $HOME/.xsession

> In /home/wakileh/.xsession, I have
> usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
> sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
>
> # merge in keymaps
> if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
>     xmodmap $sysmodmap
> fi
>
> if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
>     xmodmap $usermodmap
> fi
>
> XWin -screen 0 1024x768x16 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0 &
> xterm -geometry 85x25+0+0 -T "Alt-F4 to Quit X-Server" -C -e bash &
> # xterm -geometry 85x25+0+0 -T `whoami`@`hostname` -C -e bash &
> # rxvt -fn "Lucidia Console-12" &
> # rxvt -fn 7x13bold -e bash &
> blackbox &
> xterm -geometry 80x18-0+205 -T `hostname`": xterm" -e bash &
> xterm -geometry 80x16-0-18 -C -T `hostname`": Console" -e bash &
> xterm -geometry 85x25+0-18 -T "Type 'exit' to logout"  -C -e bash &
> .
> .
> .
>
> clear
>
> I did a search for .xsession-errors, but did not find one.
This is created by xdm when using xdmcp. Does not matter.

> How do you connect to your linux box? Are you using xdmcp?
> *** This is difficult for me to answer.  I am having cygwin 1.1.8 and
> xfree86 4.0.3 running on a PC with Windows 2000.
Ok. Then the above doesn't matter.

Just another question, does the XWin window disappear several times
during initialisation? If so, then the problem is that the server
is reset everytime the last connected client closed the conection.
To avoid this add a -noreset option to the XWin.exe commandline.

bye
    ago.

BTW: Please answer directly to the Mailing list or at least CC to
the mailinglist.

http://www.gotti.org
+49 3725 3498080