RE: Xaw3d ... and ... xf_dx.dll

> Let me introduce myself. I am a CAD systems
> administrator for CATIA in Germany on AIX and do some
> C and Java programming. I stumbled on the Cygnus
> project when I was doing a search for some C
> rescources. I think the idea of porting a UNIX
> emulator to run locally on top of Windows is one of
> the best ideas I have found on the Internet in the
> field of computing.
>
> I have installed the latest download (17th April 2001)
> of the entire Cygwin binaries. I am porting some
> source code for a Finite Element package called FElt,
> a certian module called Velvet. I have to say that GCC
> runs quite well until linking the whole thing .. then
> it says that it can't find Xaw3d (a piece of Athena).
> Is a binarty available? If so, exactly which .bz file
> contains this binary? I think I've downloaded them all
> 3 times each... :)

link to linXaw.a it should work.

> Hey... great Xwindows.. if I could get it running ;)
>
> This is what happened:
> I had the latest (11r6.4) and it just wouldn't start..
> said it couldn't find a font. then I tried 11r6.0 and
> it crashed... said it could't load xf_dx.dll. I'm
> running Windows95 on my PC and don't plan to change (I
> still like having real DOS).

You are doing something basically wrong.  You cannot mix and match X11R6.4,
X11R6.0 etc etc.
Use the latest xfree86-4.0.3-xxxx.tar.bz2 binaries.

> I found another version (approx. 95K) of xf_dx.dll on
> an ftp site and now it comes up with startxwin.bat but
> really funky..

Yes you are right.  You are using a very very old server.

> - the mouse 'snaps' to the lower right corner of my
> window.
> - the desktop manager doesn't seem to be running. The
> xterminal has no scrollbar.

you need to start destop manager and you need to use -sb option to xterm.

> - the desktop seems to leave pieces of itself accross
> my screen when I try to move it.. (I'm sure there is a
> technical term for this phenomena).

Yes it is called Desktopphobia ;-)
Please use latest binaries and do not do mix and match from
ancient time.

> Hey, does the WindowsNT version of START support a /B
> option?

Yes it does

>I know Windows95 doesn't,

Yes Windows95/98/ME does not because Windows9x developers team at M$ was
given PCs
which "B" key missing on keyboards.

Suhaib