RE: Xaw3d ... and ... xf_dx.dll

Ben,

> I had the latest (11r6.4) and it just wouldn't start..
> said it couldn't find a font.

You must have extracted your font archive using something other than bunzip2
and tar; WinZip, etc. are notorious for not putting the correct line endings
on Cygwin tar archives.  Always use the Cygwin tar, gzip, and bzip2 when
dealing with archives related to Cygwin.  Please follow the instructions in
the Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide that tell how the Cygwin/XFree86 tarballs
should be uncompressed and unarchived:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/howto/cygwin-xfree-installing.html

> then I tried 11r6.0 and
> it crashed... said it could't load xf_dx.dll. I'm
> running Windows95 on my PC and don't plan to change (I
> still like having real DOS).

Don't use the old versions.

The server released on 2001-04-17 replaces all previous releases and is a
complete rewrite; any questions or problems with prior releases will be
disregarded :)

> runs quite well until linking the whole thing .. then
> it says that it can't find Xaw3d (a piece of Athena).

X Athena Widgets are distributed with XFree86; X Athena Widgets 3D, however,
are a replacement for the X Athena Widgets and are not distributed with
XFree86 sources.  I found this by doing a Google, http://www.google.com,
search for 'Xaw3d', which turned up the project's home page,
http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/wafe/Xaw3d.html.  I suggest you look there for
further info regarding Xaw3d.  You may consider looking for a flag in Velvet
that determines whether the X Athena Widget Set or the X Athena Widget Set
3D is to be used; there may or may not be such a flag, but there is only one
way to find out :)

Thank you for your interest in the project,