UK keyboard mapping problem

Hello,
I've recently installed the XFree86(4.0.3) binaries on a WIN NT4 system,
cygwin 1.1.8, LessTif 0.92.26.  I want to run DDD and NEDIT from the X
windows environment.  My only problem now is trying to map the CTRL and ALT
keys so I can use these programs without recourse to the mouse all the time,
mapping the other keys that are different is less important.  The keyboard
type is for UK.
I've trawled through the mail archives (Q1 2001) and FAQ and noticed a
thread around Jan 02 2001 discussing this problem although I couldn't see a
particular fix.
I have tried  in an X-server window:   xmodmap -pke > xmodmap.en
and then restarting XWin with extra flags     -xkbmap  xmodmap.en
but there is an error in calling the file, not sure if this is the right way
to go though, is there anybody who's seen this and fixed it, I would
appreciate your help.
Regards
Jonathan Riches
Design Engineer