Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:35:50PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 01:25:09PM +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> >> But that has nothing to do with the cyg prefix. The name of
> >> the dll itself is in fact not worth to discuss. The problem
> >> is in using _any_ other libz library besides the libz which
> >> is provided by the Cygwin base distro. Moving it to latest
> >> wouldn't be a problem but I don't think that matters.
> >>
> >People perceive the contrib section to be something that is not usually
> >required. We either need to move it to latest, so it becomes a required
> >component. Or, we document it in Cygwin/XFree86 with the following .....
>
> Um, isn't XFree86 itself sort of a "contrib" section that is not usually
> required?

Huh ? If people are on this list - I hope Cygwin/XFree86 is required :)

> >"Cygwin/XFree86 uses it's own zlib library. If you wish to rebuild X with
> >native zlib support from cygwin, you need to get the zlib package from
> >the contrib section and install it. Secondly add the following to your
> >host.def file.
>
> How about:
>
> "Cygwin/XFree86 uses zlib from the cygwin contrib section.  Make sure that
> you have downloaded the appropriate Cygwin libraries for correct operation."
>
> This seems a heck of a lot more friendly than asking people to rebuild.

Well, yes. In fact, having thought about this some more - that's probably
the best way if Chuck is unwilling to move it. Seeing as we could possibly
build with cygipc support and that means getting cygipc from elsewhere too.

Alan.