German setup for XFree86

Hello,

I just installed XFree86 on top of the Cygwin installation I've been using
for quite a while now. I must say that I'm very impressed. I have several
remote Unix machines that I access from time to time, and it's nice to be
able to do this from my Windows 2000 notebook (without the need for a dual
boot, VMware or a commercial X client). Really great piece of work!

I have some minor problems, though, configuring the X server. Maybe someone
can give me a hint or point me at some online documentation:

(1) How do I use / emulate the (non-existent) third key of my two-key
touchpad?

(2) I used setxkbdmap to achieve German keyboard layout, but how do I tell
my
bash to actually print the German umlaut characters? Is there a way to put
the bash into "8 bit" mode?

(3) Why am I unable to terminate the X server using the window manager's
popup menu? I have to close the console window where startxwin.bat is run to
get rid of it. Also, I noticed that from time to time "zombie" bash
instances (with no console attached) stay in the task list after the server
has been killed.

(4) What is the recommended way to configure Cygwin/XFree86? I've been
looking for an XF86Config file, but didn't find one? Is this file not used
for the Cygwin port of XFree?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely

Joerg Pleumann

University of Dortmund       Phone:  049-231-755-4712
Computer Science Dept. X     Fax:    049-231-755-2061
D-44221 Dortmund             E-Mail: pleumann@ls10.cs.uni-dortmund.de