RE: about libXpm.a/.so/.dll.. whatever :-) Dynamic linking?

> Yep it is in cygwin.rules.. Hmm ahh there we have a dll.. Hmm
> how does everything work??
>
> Consider me doing
>  gcc -o myapp myapp.o -lX11 -lXaw
>
> On solaris it links with libXaw.so, which probably
> automatically loads libXpm.so during runtime.

On Solaris x86 are you using XFree86 4.x or Xsun which ships with Solaris
x86?
If it is Xsun then it does not use liXpm.  LibXpm was introduced in XFre86
from
Version 4.0.  I have run into this issue sometimes on Linux too.

> On cygwin, does it link with static libXaw.a, or dynamic
> libXaw.dll(?) from where, does it look for shared libs in bin subdir??

libXaw is only static under Cygwin, due to M$ Win32 limitations.  FAQ
discuss it ;-)

> Does it automatically load libXpm.dll during runtime??

No, you need to link.

Suhaib