Re: Not your normal DISPLAY problem.

On Thursday 31 May 2001 03:18, Larry Sanderson wrote:
> See comments inline...
>
> > Are there any VPN, or Firewall software of "second fully
>
> functionalmachine"?
> Nope.  Both are on the same subnet, with no special
>
> > When you start X-server do you get X-desktop?
>
> Yup.  The desktop comes up nicely.  In fact, X sessions from the remote
> machine are working correctly... Just X sessions from localhost are failing
>
> > Can you run the following simple test from a bash shell?
> >
> > From Cygwin bash shell cd to /usr/X11R6/bin
> >
> > DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
> > Export DISPLAY
>
> No problems here... an 'echo $DISPLAY' verifies the value 127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> > ./Xwin :0&
>
> The X-desktop apears here, as expected.
>
> > ./xterm&
> > ./twm&
>
> Both these return the same "Can't open display".

This sounds similar to the problem I have with trying to run Exceed and
XFree86 simultaneously. I also get the message "Can't open display" for every
value I set DISPLAY to. How can I check which displays on a machine are
accessible? Which ports are used by the XServer depending on the display and
screen number?

Currently I set DISPLAY to
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.1

and use the following line in startxwin.bat:
start XWin -screen 1 1024x768x32 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0 -engine 4

I am not really sure whether this ":0.1" and "-screen 1" correspond
correctly. Can someone enlighten me?

Interestingly enough now I get two X windows started?! One small, one big ...

[..]
> Thanks for your help, but I've spent a couple days on this, and I can't
> seem to find the problem.  It's as if the X-programs are failing to
> communicate over the network.  Could it be somewhere in the network
> settings?  At this point I'm pretty sure it isn't actually a problem with
> the DISPLAY variable.
>
> Thanks for any further help you can offer.
>
> -Larry
>
> > > At first glance, the "Can't open display" error I'm getting seems the
> > > run-of-the-mill variety... Just make sure the X-server is running, and
>
> the
>
> > > DISPLAY variable is properly set.  But...
> > >
> > > If I'm on a second (fully functional) box, and set the DISPLAY to point

> > > the problem machine, the X-programs pop up just fine. So, the X-server
> > > seems
> > > to be running correctly.  If I'm on the first and point the DISPLAY to
> > > itself (or to the second fully functional one) then nothing works... I
> > > always get the "Can't open display" error.
> > >
> > > It seems as though either the DISPLAY variable isn't being read
>
> correctly,
>
> > > or I'm doing something incredibly stupid.
> > >
> > > Any insight?
> > >
> > > -Larry

- --
Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), h.nardmann@secunet.de, Software Development
secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken (www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50