RE: Backticks in 4.1.0

The case of the spontaneous backticks is solved.

The problem was indeed due to the type of keyboard.  (Silitek
ergonomic keyboard is what they call it.)  Dell's support site carries
a "knowledge base" article that describes how to perform a software
upgrade to solve the problem, and a program (SILKB-SP.EXE) that one
has to download.

Now the backticks are gone, and on top of that, I also solved a
long-standing problem with the monitor not turning itself off after a
period of inactivity if the timeout was set to more than 1 minute.

 >> Here is some iteresting info.
 >>
 >> I switched to a different keyboard, and the problem went away.
 >> Unclear whether I have a faulty keyboard, or whether my keyboard
 >> generates events that are misrepresented by xfree.

 [snip]

 >> For the record, the "noisy" keyboard is a Dell natural keyboard from
 >> 1998.  The one I swapped for it is a MS natural keyboard, unknown
 >> vintage, but probably a bit older.

Thanks for all the help!

Fabio