RE: error in tar -xf xfree86-4.1.0-devel.tar

Suhaib,

> Also since Chris is runing tight on disk space, I am going to delete
XFree86
> 4.0.3.  I noticed some users are doing a mix and match.

Deleting 4.0.3 means that I'll have to update the User's Guide, which I've
been dreading because of the non-uniform capitalization and naming of the
project binaries and due to the font archives being split apart.  For
example:

xfree86-4.1.0-XClients.tar.bz2
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.1.0.tar.bz2
XFree86-ISO8859-7-1-fonts.tar.bz2

In the above files there is sometimes a version number, sometimes not;
XFree86 binaries never have version numbers, as they are in a directory that
has the version number.  XFree86 is sometimes capitalized, sometimes not;
XFree86 binaries don't have "XFree86" in the name.

Also, I believe I'll have to include a 'mkfontdir' step in the installation
instructions if I tell users to only download the fonts that they need.

Have you thought about using the install/packaging script that the other
XFree86 distributions use?  I asked Torrey Lyons, of X on X fame, about
where to start with using the script.  He had this to say:

> The packaging script, build-bindist, and data files for each platform
> are in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/bindist. You would have to
> create a directory for Cygwin and modify the Xinstall.sh script in
> xfree86/etc. Directions for how build-bindist is used can be found by
> checking out the devel module from CVS and reading the bindist-notes
> file.

I was going to look into the packaging script, but I'm pretty busy.  Perhaps
it would save you some work...

An added side benefit of using the packaging script is that Cygwin/XFree86
would finally be ready to become a standard distribution of XFree86, via the
XFree86 mirror network, in addition to the Cygwin mirror network.

Are you interested in looking into the packaging script, or should I keep it
on my to-do list?