Re: How to build shared librairie with Cygwin

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

> I actually find this long thread useless.  The complainer knows there is a
> Cygwin/Xfree86 FAQ and knows the URL.  There are names of maintainer, and
> core team members listed on Cygwin/Xfree86 URL.  There is a mailing list to
> complain, yell, or whine, and... above all I prefer users who like to give a
> hand to an open source project then to whine about minor things.  If absense
> of LessTif precompiled binaries are worrying Michel Bardiaux so much then
> how about he takes the task of helping LessTif and Cygwin/Xfree86 project to
> provide precompiled binaries?
>
> Suhaib

Please let me go back to the origin of this thing. Someone asked in
comp.windows.x.motif how to convert a UNIX/X11 application to the WIN32
API. I replied such an extensive conversion was not necessary because
Cygwin provided the X server and the X11 and Xt libraries, and Lesstif
could provide the Xm library if needed. While checking the URLs I found
the announcement for "LessTif precompiled binaries for Cygwin", thought
"Great news!", then ended up uncomfortably between 2 contradictory FAQs.
I tried to notify their maintainers, and that seems to make me rather
unpopular. OK, now the request will be in the cygwin-xfree list, so I'll
shut up.

As for 'putting up' ('give a hand rather than whining'), one can't very
well work on *all* Open Source projects one comes into contact with.
Give and take *on the whole*. I'm currently working on something
entirely different which *will* be GPL; it would be "inefficient" (as 7
of 9 would put it) to try and become an expert in both Cygwin and the
Lesstif building process when I know so little about them.

Well, actually, as a penance, I can contribute something for Lesstif.
See another message with subject "XmListSelectPosPlus".

Greetings.
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent