[ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 35 (PseudoColor support)

Links:

I just posted Test 35 to my server development page:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/

Server binary, direct link:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/XWin-Test35.exe.bz2 (1043 KB)

Server source, direct link:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/xwin-20010623-2225.tar.bz2 (63 KB)

Changes:

1) PseudoColor support is now enabled, albeit with lots of caveats.

Caveats:

1) PseudoColor is only supported by the GDI blitter (-engine 1), so you
have to pass the '-engine 1' parameter to XWin.exe.

2) PseudoColor is only supported when Windows is running in 256 color
mode (8 bit color); the GDI engine cannot change the Windows display
depth, so you must be running Windows in 256 color mode before starting
XWin.exe.

3) There are plenty of situations that cause the colors displayed by
Cygwin/XFree86 to become garbled.

4) Test35 has been tested only on Windows 2000.  There is no reason
why Test35 should not run on the other versions of Windows, but I
would appreciate some quick feedback on whether Test35 functions
on Windows 95, 98, Me, and NT 4.0 when running Windows in 256
color mode and passing '-engine 1' to XWin.exe.

Comments:

I have tested the PseudoColor support with Magic 7.1 and by running a remote
KDE session.  The colors are correct, as far as I can tell.  A lot of work
remains to be done to complete the PseudoColor support, but I figured I
would make this release to see if I am on the right track.  Release early,
release often.

The source code is currently specific to the GDI engine and will need to be
abstracted to add support for the DirectDraw engines.

Enjoy,