dtwm windows lose focus

I downloaded and installed Cygwin and XFree86 4.1.0 4 days ago (June 21, 2001).

I am trying to use XFree86 to use my Windows 2000 machine as an XTerminal for
a RS6000 machine running AIX.  I want to use the AIX window manager "dtwm"
on my Windows 2000 machine.  "dtwm" looks like what I remember as the old
Motif (OSF) Windows manager (back in the good old days).

Things work pretty well, except that often the dtwm will stop taking input from
my keyboard.  The mouse works, and I can select menu items in dtwm and
execute them with mouse clicks, and the space bar appears to work on the keyboard,
otherwise nothing.  This will almost always happen when I switch from my XFree86 display
to a Windows 2000 window and back again (in other words, it's as though dtwm
doesn't know I'm back).

Something very odd: I am running Cygwin bash at the same time I am running the
dtwm, and I have found that when dtwm stops reading the keyboard, I can fix that
by popping the bash window to the top of the screen and then minimizing it again.

On the other hand, a colleague of mine is trying to run the same configuration (possibly
with an older version of Cygwin), and he can't get dtwm to read his keyboard at
all (same behavior, echoes the space bar only), but popping his bash shell to
to top does not fix the problem.

Here is the process I use to run dtwm on the AIX machine:

1. Run bash (programs->cygnus solutions->cygwin bash shell)

2. Run C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat (from Windows explorer - you
can probably also do this from the bash shell but I haven't been doing that...)

3. In the bash shell:

 export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.x.xx:0 (the IP address of your local machine)

 /usr/x11r6/bin/xhost.exe +

4.  startxwin.bat will have brought up an X display with a bash window.  In that window,
type:

 rlogin "aix machine name" -l your_unix_login

It should prompt you for your password.

5.  After logging into "aix machine name", type:

 export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.x.xx:0  (the IP address of your local machine, again)

 dtwm (launches the display manager).

--
Tom Gross
Elytics, Inc