keyboard behaviour with cygwin/xfree86

Sorry for this beginner question,

but I'm trying to fix my problems with the keyboard
since yesterday ...

I'm connecting from the PC to an alpha server using the
startxwin.bat, and everything seems to work fine,
except for the keyboard behaviour.
I read in one of the mailing lists that I should load
the correct keyboard map using the xmodmap command,
e.g. "xmodmap xmodmap.fr" or something like that
(for a frech keyboard in this case).
Is that right ???
If so:
How to get the correct keyboard map ???
Where to put this map ???
Where to put the xmodmap command ???
( before or after the XWin.exe call in startxwin.bat) ????

	Thanks in advance, Uwe