Multiple cygwin.dll's

I have seen various posts to the list saying that having multiple
cygwin.dll's is a bad thing.

Suppose someone has one verion of Cygwin installed locally, and there is
another (later) version on the network (with XWin.exe).  If the $path
variable is adjusted in each case, does it all work.

Or are we still at risk of things breaking if they run their local
cygwin (so the old cygwin.dll is loaded into memory) and they then try
to run programs on the network (requiring the newer cygwin.dll)?

Cheers,

Rasjid.