Architecture of XWin server?

Hey all,

I am looking through the XWin porting layer, and I am trying to get a handle of
how the X server was ported.  I initially made the assumption that for each
drawing function, (polyline, polyrectangle, putimage, etc...) you directly
mapped it to a win32 GDI call.

As I look through the code, I notice that for most of your drawing commands,
you simply use the machine-independant functions (mi*).  And for the polyline
function, it is a stub, with a simple printout???

My question : How does the XWin port work?  Though I am pretty well experienced
with X programming, and know a bit about the X server, I am kind of new to the
bowels of the XFree server, so forgive me.  Does the cygwin server simply work
like a frame buffer with memory allocated by the GDI?  Is there a good
explination anywhere that I can read on how this specific port was achieved?

Thanks!
Brian