Re: Has anyone compiled Gimp under cygwin?

Yes. It's been awhile, though [v1.2.0]. Cygwin did It's job and I run
Linux full time now.

It needs a lot of libraries, esp. for the plugins. Things like gtk+,
gdk, gdthreads[?]. Some/most of these should be in the full cygwin
distro, now. Make sure this is up to date. Anyway, configure will let
you know soon enough.

 >./configure --there-may-be-needed-settings-here=I-don't-remember
 >make

At this point the basic gimp will go, some of the plugins will fail. I
just removed them from the make file; not eligant but effective.

 >make install
 >gimp&

Advice: gimp isn't the hardest thing to build, but it's very large. You
might try something like freeciv first. It's smaller, depends on a lot
of what gimp depends and you'll have something to do while gimp builds.

Best of luck.