Re: Problem and Fix: Missing cygncurses5.dll...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Hunt" <huntharo@msu.edu>
To: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>; <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 6:36 AM
Subject: RE: Problem and Fix: Missing cygncurses5.dll...

> Chuck,
>
> Would you advise that Cygwin/XFree86 make a new binary release the
depends
> on cygncurses6.dll rather than cygncurses5.dll?
>
> Harold

I know I'm not Chuck, but...

I wouldn't bother rushing a new release out the door. It was to *save
you* and other dependent packages from getting broken that Chuck jumped
through hoops with the ncurses upgrade. Now that the package split is
complete the backward compatability .dll can be included for quite some
time without hardship to users or Chuck. (Not indefinately of course).
I'm very sure that you would normally do at least 2 or 3 releases before
that .dll will get removed....

As a comment the number of users complaining is actually remarkable low
given that Cygwin's user base is in the 1000's (measured by
cygwin@cygwin.com subscriber base). Gut feel, I'd say that under 1% are
clueless enough to miss the announcement and then complain without a
scan of the announce list (which includes the solution). The number that
aren't on any list and just act surprised when it 'broke' and then don't
search the archives may be a lot higher though :}.

Rob